Obtaining Single Family Residential Building Permits in the Rural Municipality of Portage la Prairie
The Building/Development permit application is subject to a minimum two (2) day waiting period while plans are being reviewed for approval.
No excavation or construction work will be undertaken until a permit has been issued.
Obtain permits from the Portage la Prairie Planning District.
Refer to the Portage la Prairie Planning District Fee Schedule.
- Legal description of property and proof of ownership.
- A site plan of the property indicating dimensions from building(s) to property lines and building to building if applicable. A current survey may be required.
- Finished grades to be followed at Delta as per Water Stewardship.
- A full set of plans for the proposed building, including a stamped engineer’s drawing of the foundation when required.
- Supply shop drawings for all engineered components. ie. roof & floor trusses, beams etc.
- Building/Development permit fee is based on total value of construction, including labour.
- Plumbing permits are required with a schematic of the plumbing.
- Approval from the Environment Department for the septic system to be provided. Contact 204-239-3608 for more information.
- Regional water hook up contact the Rural Municipality Office 204-857-3821.
- Department of Highways approval if building off of Provincial Road allowance. Contact General Office at 204-239-3292.
- New driveway access, contact councilor in your Ward. Contact Highways if applicable.
- Subdivision, if applicable, is processed through Provincial Community and Regional Planning. Contact 204-239-3347.
- Water Resources permit required if in reservoir area. Contact 1-204-250-5095.
- Electrical permits obtain from Manitoba Hydro.
Should you have any questions or concerns, please contact us.
NOTE: This is an approximate list of items that may be required.