Portage la Prairie Planning District Documents


Zoning Regulations for the placement of fences in residential districts. This does not include fences for private pools.

Call utility companies before you dig

Do I require a building permit to build a fence?

No. A building permit is not required to build a standard residential fence.

Are there height restrictions?

Yes! The respective Municipal Zoning By-laws limit the maximum height of a standard residential fence.
  Front yard is 1m (3.2 ft)
  Rear yard is 2m (6.5 ft)

Are there fence restrictions for pools and hot tubs?

Yes! Contact our office.

What about hedges?

Hedges or other plantings which create a fence effect are subject to the same regulations as fences.

What type of materials can I use to construct my fence?

Materials such as wood, brick, concrete and metal are permitted. However, barbed wire and electric fences are not permitted in residential areas.

What if my neighbour and I are having a dispute regarding fencing between our properties?

If the fence complies with the respective Zoning By-law regulations, it would be a civil matter that would have to be resolved between you and your neighbour.

Where can I build my fence?

A fence may be erected along and up to a property line but within the property limits. However, when costs and maintenance of a fence are shared by adjoining neighbours, it may be built right on the property line.

How do I determine my property lines?

To accurately locate property lines requires a Manitoba Land Surveyors Building Location Certificate or there may be pins located on your property which indicate the property lines.

How can I obtain a Building Location Certificate?

Check your records. Most property owners already have this document, it usually comes with the property purchase. Otherwise, the services of a qualified Land Surveyor should be obtained. Using a Certificate as reference is the best way to avoid disputes between neighbours.

Are there any exceptions to these restrictions?

No. The only way these regulations can be altered is through a variance application. Refer to the brochure on Variation Applications.

What are fence restrictions for pools and hot tubs?

Contact us for further information.

How do I determine my front, side and rear yards?

As illustrated below, the front yard is the area from the front wall of the dwelling to the front property line. Side and rear yards are the areas behind the front wall of the dwelling to the rear property line.

What if I have a corner lot?

Contact us for further information.

My building is on a corner lot. How do I determine the front yard?

Determine corner lot front yard

My neighbour is building a fence between our properties. Do I have to pay half?

No. You are not obligated to share the costs although cooperation between neighbours often results in cost-shared projects. Disputes arising out of fence construction or location can only be resolved through civil litigation.

Should the good side of the fence face outward?

Except for fences to private pools, the respective By-laws do not regulate or restrict construction style or colour of fences, including which side of the fence should face out. Such matters are normally determined through the cooperation of neighbours. Certain styles of fences (see below) face both directions and are often used when costs are shared.

Fence orientation


Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained on this page. However, in case of a discrepancy between this information and the respective By-laws, the By-law will take precedence.

Please contact us for further information.


Can't find what you are looking for?